Cracked Heels are a sign of lack of moisture and lack of attention to foot care. The cracks generally occur in the rim of the heel and web of toes. Cracked heels are also known as fissures which are linear cut wounds which mostly affect the surface of the epidermis. Excess pressure on feet pads make the feet expand sideways. The skin surrounding the sides of the feet is dry they crack and cause cracked heels.
Cracked heels are not harmful except when the fissures get deepen and tend to become painful and the skin begins to bleed. This leads to infection and is unavoidable situation mostly for those who are already suffering from diabetes and or low immune system.
For senior citizens, cracked heels are a common problem. Excessively dry skin, cracked heels and peeling skin are the most common causes of cracked heels in seniors. Most of the foot problems arise due to neglecting of foot care. Here are some simple home remedies to cure common feet ailments like cracked heels.
Symptoms of Cracked Heels:
- Red or flaky patches
- Dry and cracked feet
- Itchy skin
- Bleeding or discharge of blood from cracks
Causes of Cracked Heels:
- Neglecting foot care
- Lack of moisturizer for feet
- Overweight also may increase the pressure on feet which in turns leads to cracked heels.
- Continuous exposure to water
- Disease like athletes’ foot, thyroid and psoriasis may also lead to cracked heels
- Back open sandals may also increase the possibility of cracks
- Vitamin deficiency
- Unhygienic conditions
Home Remedies for Cracked Heels
Clean your feet and apply hydrogenated vegetable oil on the cracked areas. After applying, wear a pair of thick socks. Leave it overnight and you can see the result the next day. Banana: Apply the paste of ripe banana on the affected area . Leave it for 15minutes and wash it off. Use this regularly to get rid of cracked heels.
This a best and simple home remedy for cracked heels. Soak your feet in lemon juice for 15minutes. Lemon juice is acidic in nature and helps to dissolve dead and dry skin.
Regular application of glycerin and rose water soothes the skin and works great for cracked heels.
At the end of a day soak your feet in warm water and adding a tsp of salt and tsp lemon juice for 15 minutes. Scrub your feet with a pumice stone.
Mix Vaseline and a good amount of lemon juice. Apply this mixture on your cracked feet and other required areas of your feet until it is absorbed. It is best to apply this mixture right before you go to bed. For good results you can also wear a woolen socks as they will trap your body heat. This helps to soften dry cracked heels.
Apple cider vinegar
Mix a good amount of apple cider vinegar, honey and rice flour. You can also add a tsp of olive oil or any other edible vegetable oils to give moisturizing to your feet. Soak your feet in water for 20minutes and massage with this paste. This will gently abrade the dead skin cells on your feet and keeps the skin on your foot soft.
Take some paraffin wax and mix it with coconut oil or mustard oil. Heat this mixture in a pan until the wax melts down. Allow this to cool down to room temperature. Apply it on your feet before going to bed. Wash it off in the morning. You can see a good result.
Take some oat meal powder and some jojoba oil. Mix this and make a paste. Apply this paste on your feet. Leave it for 20 minutes and rinse it off with cold water.
Sesame oil is the best remedy for your cracked heels. Apply this on affected area to get smooth and beautiful heels.
Honey is a great moisturizer. Mix a cup of honey in warm water. Soak your feet in this water for half an hour. Scrub off gently. Repeat this regularly to get rid of dry and cracked heels.
- Consume diet rich in calcium, iron, zinc and omega 3 fatty acids. Calcium: milk, cheese, yogurt, mineral water, tinned fish, cereals, broccoli and all dairy products are excellent sources of calcium. Iron: meat, chicken, cereals, egg, vegetables, beans and fish are good sources of iron. Zinc: chicken, crab, yogurt, brown rice, oysters and kidney beans. Omega 3 fatty acids: flax seeds, cold water fish and purslane herb.
- Moisturize and exfoliate the skin whenever possible.
- Keep your feet clean every time.
- Avoid walking on bare feet.
- Do not spend much time in wet or damp area.
- Apply moisturizer to your feet every time after your bath.